Tuesday, March 15, 2011

Gospel Topic Tuesday: Humility & Pride

If someone were to tell you that you were doing something wrong how would you respond? Would you take it in stride? Would you shut down? Would you ignore them? Would you get angry with them? When I am told I am doing something wrong I tend to jump to a defensive mode. I try to defend myself even if while I am defending myself I realize they are right. But I don't want them to know that so I stay in defense mode.

Why is this? I have this feeling it is because we are not humble. We are too prideful to have someone else tell us what to do or to correct us. So what if it's Heavenly Father telling us that what we are doing is wrong and that we need to repent? Do you listen? Or are you too prideful and choose to ignore him?

We need to be more humble and teachable. Our trials are ways to humble us and teach us to rely on the Lord. My thoughts are turned to the hymn "Be Thou Humble". The first verse is as follows:

"Be thou humble in thy weakness, and the Lord thy God shall lead thee,
Shall lead thee by the hand and give thee answer to thy prayers.
Be thou humble in thy pleading, and the Lord thy God shall bless thee,
Shall bless thee with a sweet and calm assurance that he cares."
Heavenly Father loves us so much and wants only to bless us but we have to trust in Him and listen humbly. If we turn our weaknesses over to God He will lift us and strengthen us and we will no longer be weak.
I am grateful for my weaknesses and the opportunities I have to be humbled to remember God and His love for me. I know that all I have is from Him and that through Him all things are possible.

1 comment: