Tuesday, March 29, 2011

Gospel Topic Tuesday: Atonement

I've been studying the atonement of Jesus Christ, our Savior, this past week. I've been pondering it and reading scriptures and thinking it through. What a selfless act of love the atonement is. When I think about it, I wonder if I am capable of such love in only the smallest measurement. I try to love man as we are told to do but I find it so very hard. There are so many people who just irritate me or annoy me and I struggle to find anything good about them. Yet here is the example of our Savior who loved us all despite all that we would do and He bled in the Garden of Gethsemane and let Himself be crucified that we might have someone to turn to for forgiveness and a way to conquer death both physically and spiritually.


Isaiah chapter 53 is a great chapter to read about what the Savior went through and how humble and meek He was. In verse 5 it reads "he was wounded for our transgressions, he was bruised for our iniquities: the chastisement of our peace was upon him; and with his stripes we are healed." Everything that we experience and go through in this life He understands. He endured it all and so much more. There is no feeling or pain or sin that He can't understand and comfort or take away if we turn to Him and trust in his redeeming power.


I am so thankful for my Savior and His love for me. I am thankful for His Atonement that makes it possible for me to overcome my shortcomings and find forgiveness. How through Him I am able to forgive others and find peace in my life. His life is a great example of how to live my life and try to do better.

No comments:

Post a Comment