Saturday, September 11, 2010

Where were you?

Where were you on 9/11/2001? I was living at my sister Cathy's house. I had just moved up from Idaho. I was sleeping in since I had no real responsibilities besides cleaning my sisters house. The phone ringing woke me up. I slowly got out of bed and meandered into the kitchen and picked up the phone from the wall. It was Cathy. I don't remember everything she said I just remember the sinking feeling that came over me as she told me that the United States was under attack. My thoughts turned to my mom. Was she okay? Where was she right then? I tried calling but the phone lines were jammed. Thousands everywhere were trying to call their loved ones. Cathy didn't have TV so I wasn't able to watch the news and see what was going on. I pushed myself to go clean the bathroom and I brought a radio in with me so I could hear the news. I think that was the only time I heard more talking on a music channel than I heard music and actually stayed and listened. I didn't know what to think. I didn't know what to do. I was so worried about my mom.
Thursday night Jared and I watched a special on 9/11 on the History channel. I had seen a preview for it earlier in the week and told him I wanted to see it. Since Cathy didn't have TV I never really saw footage from the attack. I had seen a few pictures over the years but that was it. As we watched it I kept being on the verge of tears. Jared said to me how it was going to be graphic and hard to watch. I knew that and I knew I really wanted to see it. I wanted to see what had happened almost 9 years ago. I couldn't believe it had already been 9 years.
There's a song by Alan Jackson that just moves me to tears every time. It's titled "Where Were You" you can watch it here.
So where were you on 9/11/2001?

2 comments:

  1. I was in the hallway while Sam was in his 7 am electrician class at BYU. We had been married for one month! Thanks for remembering, Emily. I hope all of America remembers. Sometimes I worry there are some who have forgotten.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was at work in my office when Chuck Martin came and told me that I needed to come out and listen to the news. We all stood there in shock gathered around the tv someone had at their desk. I remember going outside and being afraid for the first time in my life. Thanks for remembering! May we never forget!!!

    ReplyDelete