Tuesday, August 31, 2010

Gospel Topic Tuesday: Priesthood Blessings

Sunday night while saying my prayers the thought came to me that I needed to ask Jared for a blessing. After I was done with my prayers and Jared was too I asked him for a blessing. After he gave me the blessing I felt so much better. I was starting work the next day and was unsure how I was going to balance everything. Through the blessing I was given some personal direction and reassurance that I am doing the right thing and that everything will be okay. I am incredibly grateful that my husband is a worthy priesthood holder and that I can turn to him and be blessed.

I love receiving priesthood blessings even when Heavenly Father is chastening me for something. The reason why is because Heavenly Father loves me enough to tell me where I need to do better, where I need to be stronger. He has the bigger picture in view and if I trust in him and follow the guidance he gives than I know he will bless me. In a talk by Julie B. Beck she says, "Each of us is equally entitled to a priesthood blessing when we are sick or need added support from the Lord in our lives." (Julie B. Beck, “An Outpouring of Blessings,”). The Lord is there for us and willing to help and guide us if we have faith in him and ask for a blessing.

I've had many experiences in my life where someone shares that they are having a hard time in their life with me, or that they are sick and don't know what to do. My first response is asking, "Have you asked for a priesthood blessing?" So many times the answer is no, which saddens me because I know that they will receive the guidance and healing needed if they just ask.

I know the power of the priesthood is real. I've read and heard stories where the spirit testified to me that they are true. I've had many experiences in my life that have strengthened my testimony in the power of the priesthood. I will share a few experiences that stand out.

One of the first ones comes from when I was 12 or 13. I was going to have surgery to remove my tonsils and adenoids. I was really nervous. I was afraid that something bad would happen and that perhaps I would die. I've always been terrified of Dr's and hospitals. My mom suggested that I get a priesthood blessing before having the surgery. We asked the missionaries who were serving at that time if they would administer a blessing to me. They of course said yes and gave me a blessing. I was told everything would be fine and that I would be comforted. The morning of the surgery I woke up and started to panic and ask "What if...?" Every time the "what if's" came to mind a voice spoke to me and told me I would be alright. I was calmed down and able to go in for surgery and everything was fine.

Another experience was more recent a little over a year ago. I was preparing to travel to Germany to visit my brother Eddy and his beautiful family. Just before leaving I put my back out and was barely able to move. I couldn't hardly walk or get out of bed. My ticket was already purchased and I desperately wanted to go. I turned to my husband and asked for a blessing. We called on our home teachers to help administer. I was told that I would be okay and told that I would be healed. As the words came my body felt different. The pain was evaporating away. Part of me was stunned but the rest of me was grateful to Heavenly Father for blessing me with a husband that is a worthy priesthood holder and that He saw it fit to heal me at that time.

Most recently was my experience with being pregnant and bringing Benjamin into the world. Shortly after I found out I was pregnant I asked for a blessing. I was told that my pregnancy would be fine but that I would experience pain in my labor. This made me nervous to some degree. I knew there would be pain but I wondered how much. I prayed to Heavenly Father and he comforted me and a scripture came to mind about how the Lord does not give us more than we can handle. When I went into labor and had been laboring for about 24 hours already I asked Jared for another priesthood blessing. I was told several things...one thing in particular that there would be some complications but that I would be healthy and so would our son. This was a hard thing to hear for Jared and I but we were able to prepare ourselves and trust in the Lord that everything would be alright.

Priesthood blessings are an amazing blessing in our lives. There priesthood holders all around us worthy and willing to bless us if we but ask them. I love to hear what Heavenly Father has to share with me and then write it down so I don't forget it and so I can look back and see what I was told.

No comments:

Post a Comment