Friday, December 10, 2010

Christmas Memories...My Dream Came True

While living in Idaho one year (can’t remember if it was the first or second) we found this cool place that made hope chests and toy chests. The place smelled amazing when you walked in there. It’s funny how great wood can smell. I had always wanted a hope chest. I had dreamed of owning one growing up to store my treasured items and gifts that were meant for my future home. And here I was so close to one I couldn’t stand it. We left without buying one and I was so bummed. I’m pretty sure I begged and pleaded and annoyed my mother begging for a hope chest.

Time passed and Christmas got closer. I remember crawling into bed on Christmas Eve hoping that maybe my mom and Rudy had gotten me my hope chest. I got up in the middle of the night and walked out into the living room. I didn’t see a hope chest. I felt pretty bummed. Mom and Rudy were asleep in their room so I quietly walked out into the garage and found my hope chest sitting out there. I was so exhilarated! They had gotten it for me. I softly headed back inside and then woke up. It was just a dream. I laid there in bed getting my hopes up trying to tell myself to go back to sleep.

I did finally fall asleep. Christmas morning came and the dream I had still hung in my mind. I went out to the living room where we started on our Christmas stockings and some Strata and hot cocoa (a typical Christmas breakfast). Presents were opened everyone felt cozy. I was especially cozy in some newer PJ’s, it gets darn cold in Idaho so had to step them up a notch. I thought I got cold back home in Snohomish, Washington but it was nothing compared to Idaho.

The pile of presents was dwindling under the tree. I had opened the biggest present that was under the tree. It was a train which I loved! I have a love for trains (not an obsession, just a love) ever since I was little and would count the trains as they went by. Anyways it felt like present time was pretty much over when Rudy disappeared into the garage. I was a little surprised but there were pies and sparkling cider out there he could be getting. I tried not to get my hopes up but my dream was still at the forefront of my mind.

Rudy walked back in with a large wooden box in his arms. It was my hope chest! It was wonderful! I was so excited! I sat on it in the entranceway in the middle of my new train set. I was a very happy girl. My dream had come true.

1 comment: