Sunday, December 26, 2010

Christmas Memories...Intangible Gifts

I usually create a list each year of gifts that I want. I will admit it I am a pretty selfish person and love presents! Maybe selfish isn’t the right word…greedy? Jared’s mom likes to get lists in PowerPoint and I have had fun the past few years putting a PowerPoint together with the items I want and links to places to purchase said items. This year came and while there are always things I want I didn’t put a list together.

I’ve been reflecting on the reason for not putting a list together (which apparently made things hard for some people to shop for me). Reason number one, I have less time to think about myself since having Benjamin. Reason number two, I have a lot of stuff already. Reason number three, I feel like I’ve been blessed with so much lately that I don’t need anything.

Point in case: I have Benjamin who is all the gift I need. My brother Ed called this weekend and said he is coming up with his family for Christmas. While neither are tangible gifts or wrapped in a bow under the tree…they are gifts to me. I have a loving husband who adores me and I him. I am healthy and strong. I have a roof over my head. The list goes on.

Jared and I were discussing my lack of a desire to create a Christmas wish list and I told him I don’t need anything. He said he wanted to be sure I was disappointed on Christmas which makes sense because historically I’ve been let down when I haven’t gotten something. But I told him I am so blessed and feel no need for anything more.

1 comment:

  1. Man's search for happiness is not attained at the mall or in the things he buys, allbeit things can make life easier, but within the walls of his own home with his family.

    ReplyDelete